Tuesday, April 7, 2009

The Cubs won their opener last night...

...and hope springs eternal. I even saw a billboard that said:

CUBS WIN WORLD SERIES!
(Live to see it.)

And below was an ad for a place that will help you quit smoking.

I hope I do live to see it. I'm 50 years old and have been a suffering Cubs fan since 1969. My son once told me that he'd like to see the Cubs win the World Series just for my sake. That was nice but I told him that I'd like to see the Cubs win just for my Uncle Ed's sake. He's a bigger Cubs fan than me and hasn't seen the Cubs win the World Series either. And he's almost 80 years old! George Will once noted that the last time the Cubs won the Series Tolstoy was still alive. Even the Red Sox and White Sox have won in the last few years. If this is purgatory at least tell us what we did wrong in our former lives. Hopefully they were sins of commission and not omission.

No comments: