Tuesday, October 30, 2012

I've been following Bolingbrook...

Sophomore Quincy Woods has filled in well for the injured Aaron Bailey.
...ever since I saw them lose to Lincoln-Way East last year, 20-14, in Week Six. Even though the Griffins won, I came away from the contest asking myself: Who is this Aaron Bailey kid?

I went on to watch the Raiders beat Mount Carmel, Downers Grove South, Naperville Central and Loyola in the 8A finals (on TV).

So I couldn't wait to drive down to Frankfort in Week Six of this year to see Bailey take on Lincoln-Way East again. The Illinois-bound senior took two snaps that night and went down with an injury to his MCL. (The good news is I got to discover Griffins' quarterback Tom Fuessel.)

This Friday I plan on seeing Bolingbrook (and Bailey, I hope) for only the second time this year. The Raiders will be hosting the undefeated Wildcats of Neuqua Valley, a team I have never seen play.

Who's going to win this one? Beats me.

The Wildcats, a No. 1 seed, are led by quarterback Dylan Andrew (1202 yards passing this season with 14 touchdowns) and running back Joey Rhattigan, above, (1396 yards rushing with 26 touchdowns and 10.9 yards per carry).

The Raiders bested Neuqua, 33-14, in the first round of the playoffs last year (where was I?) and 21-14 way back in 2005. Other than that, I have nothing to go on -- no common opponents, nothin'.

The most intelligent thing I can say is that this will be a test of the Upstate Eight Conference. And after last week's drubbing of Batavia at the hands of (still weak, I maintain) Downers Grove North, 38-26, I'll give the edge to the home team.

BOWG prediction: Bolingbrook 35, Nequa Valley 28.

No comments: