Thursday, October 25, 2012

I can't make it to any...

Are the Lake Zurich Bears a dark horse in 7A?
...of the first round games this weekend, but if I could I'd probably see Bolingbrook (7-2) at Sandburg (7-2) tomorrow night. It's a rematch, of course, but this time Aaron Bailey might play (and I've only seen him take two snaps all year).

A good backup game would be 8A Proviso West (6-3) at Waubonsie (8-1). The Panthers could give Waubonsie a good game, although I think the Warriors are headed for a rematch with Neuqua (9-0) or a showdown with Bolingbrook in Round Three.

Two 7A games I won't be attending tomorrow night are Prospect (6-3) at Glenbrook North (8-1) and Andrew (6-3) at Benet (8-1). Are Grant Rushing and the Spartans of GBN for real? And how about Jack Beneventi and the Redwings? Something tells me I'll get my chance to see them again, possibly in Round Two.

On Saturday my early game would probably be 7A Crystal Lake South (6-3) at Lake Zurich (7-2). I saw the Gators lose to undefeated Cary-Grove, 17-3, in Week Three, but South finished strong, winning their last five games by a combined score of 166-70. The Bears, for their part, are always tough in the postseason and allowed only 33 points all year.

After that contest, I might drive up the road to see 5A Sterling (6-3) at Woodstock North (6-3) or down to the western suburbs to see either 8A Fremd (5-4) at Glenbard North (8-1) or -- more likely -- 7A Huntley (6-3) at Fenwick (7-2). The Friars are back in the playoffs with first year coach Gene Nudo, who hasn't coached a high school playoff game in twenty years. Watch out for these guys; they played Loyola tough just a month ago. A second round matchup against defending champ Boylan could be very interesting.

No comments: