Sunday, November 17, 2013

I'm not surprised that Loyola...

...beat Maine South yesterday, but I am surprised by the magnitude. I mean, come on, 35-0? When was the last time the Hawks were beaten that badly, when I was ten years old? And Mount Carmel only got past a 7-5 Downers Grove North team, 7-0? When was the last time the Caravan was held to seven points, when I was ten years old? What was going on yesterday, besides the crazy weather?

Before I go over my mediocre record for predictions, allow me to quote from a post I wrote after Week Two:

In fact, Naperville Central seemed to have it all on Friday night: a potent offense that could both run and pass and a defense that, once settled in, pretty much shut down Neuqua in the second half. The Redhawks are as good as any team I've seen this year, including Mount Carmel. I'd be very surprised if they didn't go deep into the playoffs.

And then there was this on October 1:

I still maintain that [Naperville] Central could play with anyone I've seen so far this year. (Will they meet up with Loyola in the 8A final?)

I should have quit then and there.

Oh, well; at least I didn't wear shorts and a visor to the Lincoln-Way North - Richards game, like the guy in the picture above. It was a driving rainstorm. Never mind the shorts for a second; why on earth would anyone wear a visor? It doesn't shield your eyes from the sun because it's dark and rainy out. And it doesn't keep your head dry because the crown is cut out. What do you suppose this guy was thinking?

"Are you going to the game tonight? Because the weather forecast is windy and rain."

"Yeah, I think I'll wear a pair of shorts and my visor."

Here are my results from the quarterfinals. I came in at -1 for the weekend, which puts me at -6 for the entire postseason.

8A

Maine South over Loyola -1
Stevenson over Barrington +1
Marist over Oswego +1
Naperville Central over Neuqua Valley +1

7A

Lake Zurich over Wheaton North 0
Glenbard West over Schaumburg +1
Mount Carmel over Downers Grove North 0
Lincoln-Way East over Edwardsville -1

6A

Boylan over Prairie Ridge 0
Batavia over Lake Forest 0
Richards over Lincoln-Way North 0
Providence over East St. Louis -1

5A

Joliet Catholic over Montini -1
Lincoln-Way West over Sycamore -1
Sacred Heart-Griffin over Highland 0
Washington over University 0

No comments: