Friday, November 29, 2013

Ever wonder what Thanksgiving...

...is like in prison? From My Road Home:

Thursday No 22nd

Happy Thanksgiving! I've already (probably too often) touched on the somber mood that prevails on a day like this, it sucks, there is no other way around it. I was one of the lucky ones who had a visit this morning. As I mentioned, Eileen drove up to see me. What a treat it was and how thoughtful of her to do so. She was here for about three hours. I headed back to the dorm to help the guys prepare our meal. Country, who organized it, had each of us (the six white guys) get about $5.00 worth of food from the commissary. We pooled it together, and at  4:00 p.m. (right after the count) sat down for our Thanksgiving dinner. The setting was one I never, ever imagined myself in, but I must admit, it was touching in its own unique way. Six men from all walks of life, running the spectrum of time served, from Dino's 13th year to my 5th month. Here we all were, brought together by various circumstances, connected for at least this moment, as a family.

No comments: