Friday, July 10, 2009

It's been a week now...

...since Sarah Palin's surprise announcement that she would step down as governor of Alaska at the end of this month. As a true political junkie, I've been scouring the Internet ever since and devouring everything I could find on the subject (I have no life). About the only things that can be said for sure about Palin are that she was miserable as governor since her return to Alaska, she was tired of all the ethics charges and criticism in the media, and that she stands to make a ton of money on her upcoming book, speeches, and as the possible host of her own television or radio show. At her press conference she mentioned canvassing her kids about her decision and getting four "yeses" and a "Hell, yeah!" She didn't say, but I have to think that the question was worded something along the lines of, "I'm thinking of giving up commuting to this crummy job as governor and making us all rich instead. Would you be in favor of that?"

My own take on Palin is that she will never again hold elective office; she's just not that interested in the day-to-day workings of government. She may or may not run for president in 2012, but either way, she'll always be the darling of the Right. And while she would never close the door on a "Draft Sarah" movement, I don't see her ever getting the Republican nomination--it would just be too suicidal for the party. Instead, I see her more as a modern-day version of Eleanor Roosevelt, although a conservative one. In the near term, she'll promote her book, give lots of red meat-laden speeches to the base, and campaign for candidates who could use her help. Longer term, she'll be more of an elder stateswoman and kingmaker. I could see prospective Republican nominees making the trek up to Wasilla, bowing, and kissing her ring in the hope of securing her valuable endorsement. It's a role that would be better for her and better for the rest of us.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Mike,

I agree with your assessment. I think she also realized that she would never be elected to a higher office so why not get out now and enjoy life and make some $. I think she will be a stateswomen for the right and hopefully can rally some support around a realistic platform. We shall see, but I do not think we have seen the last of her.