Thursday, July 2, 2009

Everyone else is kicking Mark Sanford...

...right now, but I'd like to come to his defense. I only know what I've read on the Internet and seen on TV, but that's never stopped me from having an opinion before. And my opinion is that the guy is genuinely, head-over-heels in love with this woman from Argentina. And at the same time, he's probably fallen out of love with his wife. News flash: It happens. And that's why I think he's probably mistaken in going back to his wife. I just don't see it working. It's over. In fact, it's probably been over for a while. My guess is that all the tears at the press conference weren't for his marriage but for all the obstacles in the way of his new relationship. And they're formidable. First of all, they live on different continents--in different hemispheres, no less. (Andy Borowitz had a funny piece in The Huffington Post about this. He had John Ensign asking Sanford, "Why would you go all the way to Argentina when there's perfectly good tail on your staff?") Secondly, they both have kids that I assume they're devoted to. And third, until recently they both had careers. But Sanford seems like a smart guy and I'm sure he'll land on his feet professionally. He has an MBA, worked for Goldman in New York, and has to have a great Rolodex. But the rest of it is difficult. So Sanford has been trying to break it off but he can't because he's in love. So he's going to try to patch things up with his wife but it's probably too late. If I knew Sanford, I'd tell him to give up on Jenny and politics and start anew. Either move to Argentina or have his girlfriend move up to South Carolina. He's 49; it's not too late to start a new life. His boys will survive.

No comments: