Friday, July 24, 2009

If the Glenview Police came to my door...

...and told me that there had been a report of a break-in, I would have calmly explained to them what had happened. My front door can be sticky and I needed the cab driver (who also just happened to be a Shanty Irishman) to help me force it open. If they asked to see some identification, I would have gladly shown them my driver's license or even my passport, which would be handy since I would have just gotten back from China. I would have then offered to go with them next door to have one of my neighbors identify me personally. Heck, I would have even offered to buy tickets to the next Policeman's Ball.

"Thank you, Mr. Tracy, but that won't be necessary. Besides, those only exist in Turner Classic Movies."

"Oh."

At that point, they would have thanked me for my cooperation and I would have thanked them for their quick response. End of story.

"Break it up...keep moving...there's nothin' to see here..."

I've actually dealt with the Glenview Police on a few occasions and have been very impressed with their professionalism. I can't believe it wouldn't have ended well.

2 comments:

James said...

Here's a link to Henry Louis Gates Jr.'s side of the story for what it's worth:

http://www.theroot.com/views/skip-gates-speaks?page=0,0

I guess the main issue for Gates was that he wasn't initially told by the cop that there had been a report of a break in. He immediately was asked to step out on his porch.

So I guess Gates's frustration arose from what he saw as an assumption of his guilt. I also think that Gates's showing the cop his ID and driver's license (proving that he lived in the house) should have been enough to resolve the situation.

Either way, it's nice to here that the Glenview police don't share the Chicago Police's recent habit of beating people up at bars.

http://cbs5.com/watercooler/chicago.cop.bar.2.1028552.html

I followed the trial a little and apparently the officer's justification for assaulting the female bartender was "self-defense". Another article describes the victim as being half the size of the police officer (who is still a police officer since he hasn't been fired yet.) Must have been one tough Broad!

mtracy said...

She'd have to be tough to work at Jesse's Shortstop Inn on the Nort'west Side!

As for Gates, I have no doubt that a black man living in Evanston would have a totally different perspective than me vis-a-vis the police.

But if that's all it takes to get a free non-alcoholic beer at the White House with Obama, I would have started trouble with the Glenview cops a long time ago.