Sunday, July 20, 2014

I set out today...

...to see two Ravenswood landmarks, only to discover that neither is actually in that neighborhood.

The first (above) is 2934 W. Sunnyside Avenue, the home of former Gov. Rod Blagojevich. As far as I can tell, it's in Albany Park.

The second (below) is 4228 N. Hermitage Avenue, the home of Mayor Rahm Emanuel. That's in the far northwest corner of Lake View.

Ravenswood is in Lincoln Square and is bordered on the north by Foster Avenue, on the south by Montrose Avenue, on the west by the Chicago River and on the east by Ashland Avenue.

I boarded the Blue Line this afternoon at Racine just north of my house and took it to Montrose. I walked east, past this excellent neon sign at Albany and Montrose (below), and intended to take the Brown Line home. I ended up catching the No. 9 bus at Irving Park, though, and rode it down Ashland to Polk and walked home from there. It was a beautiful day.

In case you can't read the bottom, it says "Old Style Lager." Classic.

No comments: