Friday, June 5, 2009

Just like Jack Kerouac...

...I'll be On the Road for the next three days and won't be able to update this blog. (The earth will just have to continue to turn on its axis somehow.) Actually, my road trip won't bear any resemblance at all to Kerouac or his book. Not unless you pictured him as some balding middle-aged suburban guy munching on ham and cheese sandwiches while tooling down the Interstate in a minivan with 110,000 miles on it. And that's not how I remember it.

No, I plan on backing out of my driveway tomorrow morning at about seven o'clock with the two back seats taken out and replaced by three large empty boxes, one of which is the one my new electric lawn mower came in. (Thought you were done hearing about my lawn mower, eh?) And I should have plenty of food for the ride. (Shocker!)

My odyssey will start out with a ten hour drive on Saturday to meet up with an old friend who is now living in Rochester, New York. Once there I'll crack open a non-alcoholic beer (or two) and catch up with him and his wife. Sunday morning it's off to Hanover, New Hampshire with possible stops in between at Saratoga Springs, New York and/or Woodstock, Vermont. Gotta check out the local scene. (Actually, I'll have some time to kill.) After a quick dinner with my son and an insider's tour of the campus, it's back in the car for the return trip. We'll try to get a few hours in on Sunday night and then, in the immortal words of Dean Moriarty, we'll be "Ballin' the Jack" all the way back on Monday.

Sound like fun? Hey, the name of this blog isn't Cool Young Biracial Dude From California, No Less. (I just learned how to use the bold type feature today; I won't abuse it.)

I'll try to make the recap more interesting.

No comments: