Saturday, June 20, 2009

I wonder if Bill Maher is right...

...when he says that Obama may be "too worried about being popular" and that the "Democrats are the new Republicans." I wonder if he's also right that Obama isn't enough of a fighter and if the U. S. hasn't already moved to a one-party system. Last night Maher said that America has a center-right party, which is the Democrats, and a "crazy party," which is the Republicans, filled with "religious lunatics, flat-earthers, and Civil War re-enacters." He sure got that last part right. Maher went on to say:

...Speaking of the Republicans, if you can't shove some real reform down their throats now, then when? Folks, Barack Obama needs to start putting it on the line in fights against the banks, the energy companies and the health care industry...

...I'm glad Obama is president, but the "audacity of hope" part is over. Right now, I'm hoping for a little more audacity.

I hope Maher is wrong about Obama. The One has certainly been underestimated many times before. And every time the doubters (including me) have been proven wrong. But I'll be watching him closely during the health care debate to see if he's really willing to fight for what he believes in or if he's content to just accept cosmetic changes.

No comments: