Thursday, June 11, 2009

Back in 1988, I was one of those...

...purists (cranks) who were opposed to installing lights in Wrigley Field. I still have a T-shirt that says No Lights in Wrigley Field. (Some day I'll sell it on eBay.) I was convinced that it was the end of Cubs baseball as we knew it. Heck, you might as well stick a fork in Western Civilization! "Those greedy #$%*s! at the Tribune," I growled. Even though the Cubs only scheduled 12 night games per season, I could clearly see a "slippery slope" to I-don't-know-what-exactly, but it couldn't be good! And don't even get me started on what it would do to the neighborhood...

Fast-forward 21 years, and I'd have to say that short of a World Series or a pennant or something, anything, throw us a bone for God's sake, night baseball is just about the best thing that could ever happen to the Cubs in my lifetime. If anything, the neighborhood has improved, night games are a blast to go to, and working stiffs like me can watch the Cubbies in real time. Oh, and there's still plenty of day games if that's your preference.

I'm reminded of all this as I watch the health care debate move forward. Chicken Littles everywhere are warning about "socialized medicine" and saying things like "you don't want government bureaucrats to come between you and your doctor." (Somehow insurance company bureaucrats are okay, though.) And "slippery slopes" are cropping up everywhere it seems, leading to--are you ready for this?--European-style health care (which the Europeans seem happy with, by the way). I'll almost bet The Wall Street Journal is planning an editorial about how we'll all have to wear berets!

Nay-sayers, get a grip. Almost 50 million Americans are without health insurance. What's your answer, let them eat cake? (That's not very healthy.) Face it, the market has failed to serve the consumer in this particular instance. The Democrats now control both ends of Pennsylvania Avenue. They've been pushing for health care reform since the last time the Cubs played in October. Now it looks like it's finally going to happen. And you know what? Just like lights in Wrigley Field, it will be okay. Maybe it will even be better...

No comments: