Tuesday, June 30, 2009

I went to the Taste of Chicago...

...Sunday night with my son and enjoyed it as always. The weather was beautiful and we sampled all of our favorites (Italian sausage with sweet peppers, deep-fried ravioli, meatball sandwiches, Italian ice, Rainbow ice cream, Eli's turtle cheese cake) and tried some new ones (Taiwanese "shiny" noodles and African jerk chicken with rice and beans). It's amazing how fast you can get filled up! And I didn't even see the Cajun alligator this year. They changed the configuration a little, which made the pedestrian traffic more congested (gotta complain about something). But maybe it's just busier on weekends. I don't know; we've always gone on a weekday in the past.

But what really struck me was when I went to buy tickets at one of the windows. The line for credit card purchases was shorter so I went there. The sign said picture IDs were required. When I handed over my credit card and my driver's license, I was taken back a little when the guy said "Thank you, Mr. Tracy" in a real polite voice. I think I even took off my Ray-Bans and did a double-take. I was that impressed. It made me realize how put out most clerks act nowadays. I think we've lost something as a society when good manners are so uncommon.

No comments: