Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Memorial Day usually marks the end...

...of grilled ham and cheese season for me. (Oatmeal has been in the rear-view mirror for a few weeks now.) Instead, I'll opt for a cold sandwich to go with my hot bowl of soup at lunch (baby steps). Today, I had a variation on an old favorite--the Millburn (NJ) Deli Sloppy Joe. Now this bears no resemblance to the traditional Sloppy Joe that Midwesterners are used to. Instead, a Millburn Deli Sloppy Joe consists of ham and Swiss cheese on Rye bread with a little Thousand Island dressing and--here's the real kicker--cole slaw on the sandwich. Mine had ham and mild cheddar on whole wheat (that's all we had) but with the slaw. It was delicious. Summer has officially arrived at our house.

6 comments:

Tom T said...

Hey,
That brings back memories. When I took my kids to visit NJ and showed them where we lived, the Prep etc. I always stopped at the Milburn Deli for a sloppy Joe. I've tried to make them but its never the same. I think its the white wax paper they wrap them in or the quality of the bread. the place is exactly the same. No Mr. E's across the street though.

mtracy said...

I thought you'd get a kick out of that.

What was Mr. E's?

Tom T said...

Men's clothing store frequented by a certain well dresssed retail executive in the early 70's.

mtracy said...

I remember now. And if you look at some of those old pictures it's not hard to understand why they went out of business.

mary said...

I totally agree. Today I had butternut squash soup and instead of grilled cheese had cheese and crackers - easing into summer. (I'm not a fan of sloppy joes, but I understand the easing into summer part)
As for Mr. E's, Jim says "not as good as Abe Fells."

mtracy said...

Hey Mary, tell Jim that Fell's closed a couple of years ago. Sic transit gloria mundi...

P. S. Good call on the butternut squash soup!