Friday, May 15, 2009

I finally have an opinion...

...on Obama's appearance at Notre Dame this weekend. I still don't care whether he speaks there or not; I think it's a decision for the ND community to make. But I do have an opinion on the topic of his address. I'd tell him to scrap his prepared speech--health care, national security, whatever--and talk about abortion instead. The subject will be on everyone's mind anyway; why not tackle it head on? Like his speech last year on race, he could state once and for all his views on abortion. No talk of "pay grades" this time, and no pandering like Mitt Romney did with his disastrous speech on his Mormon faith. Just an honest, respectful discourse on the subject of abortion. He wouldn't change anyone's mind, of course, but I think American Catholics and others would appreciate hearing from him on this. If nothing else, it would acknowledge the 800-pound gorilla that's sure to be in the Joyce Center.

No comments: