Thursday, May 21, 2009

I'm in a book club...

...and we just finished Unaccustomed Earth, by a woman named Jhumpa Lahiri. Her family is from India, and she was born in London and raised in the U. S. The first half of the book is made up of short stories and the second half is a novella. She writes about Indians living in the U. S. and her stories have interesting, unexpected endings. She has a very simple writing style, and I would recommend the book highly.

Now we're reading a novel called Driftless, by David Rhodes. He writes about southwestern Wisconsin. I just started the book but I liked this particular passage about two people meeting each other for the first time:

The most primitive parts of themselves immediately began speaking to each other, without permission. Their imaginations entered caves deep in unexplored forests, and joined painted bodies dancing around orange fires.

I like to think of myself as current on the latest writers, but I have to confess that I'd never even heard of either of these authors before. And that's one of the great advantages of a book club.

No comments: