Friday, May 29, 2009

In at least one respect, New Jersey...

...has nothin' over Chicago. You got a problem with that? The Associated Press reports that:

A reputed mob boss, a police officer and five other men were charged Thursday in a sweeping racketeering indictment that alleges eight years of armed robberies, burglaries, jewel thefts and arson based in the western suburbs of Chicago.

Michael "The Large Guy" Sarno, 51, of Westchester allegedly masterminded much of the group's illegal activity, including a February 2003 pipe-bomb explosion that wrecked the storefront offices of a company distributing video poker machines.

You gotta love those mob nicknames! I used to know a guy at the Merc named Sarno who lived in the western suburbs and was rather large himself. I always thought he was just one of a hundred guys down there who were mob wannabes. Every now and then he would take a few days off. I'd always ask him what he'd been doing, hoping in vain for that classic response, "Don' worry abouddit." Instead, he always looked away and said something a little more ambiguous, like "Things." Much to my disappointment, he never followed it up by saying, "Let's just leave it at that!"

Now I wonder if he really "knew people." I'd like to ask around, but I think I already know the answer: "You writin' a book?" Nope, just a blog.

No comments: