Sunday, November 13, 2011

Remember the scene in "Jaws..."


...where the police chief gets his first look at the shark? That's kind of how the Naperville Central fans who were in attendance last night at the Downers Grove South-Bolingbrook game looked after Raiders' quarterback Aaron Bailey scored his third or fourth touchdown of the night. They all looked at each other with eyes wide as if to say, "We're gonna need a bigger boat."

And after Bailey's fifth touchdown of the night, they all began to head for the exits -- stunned -- as if they were leaving the scene of an accident.

See you next week, guys...

After the Raiders went up 47-3 and the game went to a running clock, the four or five guys around me and I stopped watching the game altogether and just talked football. (One of them played defensive lineman at Wheaton North last year and was recruited by Iowa. Nice kid.) And every once in a while one of us would say, "Hey, did Downers just score? Whaddaya know..."

It was that kind of a night in Bolingbrook.

When I took my seat at about the 40-yard line I struck up a conversation with the guy in front of me. He was very knowledgeable about high school football but hadn't seen Bailey yet. "Is this guy as good as they say?" he asked me. "I hear some Big Ten schools are looking at him even though he's only a junior."

"I saw him here against Lincoln-Way East and last week against Mount Carmel," I replied. "If he's on," I continued, "He'll put on a show."

Little did I know.

Bailey scored the first five touchdowns of the game and probably could have scored five more if Bolingbrook had needed them. And he didn't even look tired.

So what does this mean for Naperville Central next week? Well, the truth is, they have a pretty big boat. I saw them pummel Homewood-Flossmoor Friday night and I have no reason to think they won't give Bolingbrook a good game. Since they're at home, they might even be considered the favorite.

Redhawk quarterback Ian Lewandowski and running backs Matt Randolph and Nick Thomas will put points on the board next week. And Central's defense is solid, too. In fact, the Redhawks may be the most balanced team I've seen all year.

So who do I think will win? I'll have that answer later in the week.

No comments: