Saturday, November 12, 2011

I guess my dark horse...

...was a little too dark. Homewood-Flossmoor was eliminated last night by Naperville Central, 42-14.

I suppose it doesn't help to play on the road, and it certainly doesn't help to have five turnovers. (Was it three interceptions and two fumbles, or the other way around? I lost track.) But it didn't really matter; the Redhawks were clearly the better team (at least last night). And it was evident from the opening kickoff, which Central junior Nick Thomas returned for a touchdown.

Shortly after I took my seat at the forty-yard line, some obnoxious guy showed up yelling "DEE-VEE-CEE, BAY-BEE!" He continued this, in one form or another, long after it ceased to be cute. But his message rang true: last week I saw Wheaton Warrenville South, of the DuPage Valley Conference, hand Lincoln-Way East its first loss of the season, a 7-0 shutout. And last night Central held H-F's offense to its lowest point total of the year. With a data set of only two, I would have to conclude that the DVC is better than the Southwest Suburban Conference. (Let's see if the Redhawks play Bolingbrook next week.)

After Thomas's thrilling kickoff return, quarterback Tim Williams returned the favor, marching the Vikings 80 yards down the field for a touchdown.

7-7, I thought, This could be a good game.

But then the turnovers started. It's a little blurry now, but I remember Williams fumbling on about his one-yard line, then throwing an interception and, well ... before you knew it, it was 21-7, and then 35-7 at the half. It was a blowout.

Central running back Matt Randolph (who's huge, by the way, at 6'1", 215 pounds) sat out the second half (smart move, coach Stine) in favor of his understudy, Nick Thomas, who had a great game. Redhawks' quarterback Ian Lewandowski also looked sharp, returning kicks, running from scrimmage, throwing (and long, too, like the one to Blake Butler for a touchdown).

Central's defense was also impressive, led by linebackers John Dulleck and Luke Roth, behind linemen Zach Borta, Cody Campbell and Rob Girgis. And Redhawk defensive backs Jimmy Nashert, Pat Clark, Kevin Nowak and Ross Murphy stymied H-F's passing game. (That and the fact that Williams's intended receivers dropped so many catchable balls.)

Next week the Redhawks will play either Bolingbrook, at home, or Downers Grove South, on the road. I'll be in Bolingbrook tonight to watch that game (after I see Nazareth at Prairie Ridge and Stevenson at Glenbard North). But it's hard to imagine that the team I saw last night would be the underdog.
___

In Friday's only other game, St. Rita defeated O'Fallon, 19-14, to advance to the semifinals.

3 comments:

Ed Crotty said...

I was on the 45 and the guy yelling "DVC" (Dave) is a neighbor-friend and the dad of one of the (non-starting) players. He was pretty excited. Maybe too much...

DVC is smashmouth football, and Central is playing it well. Sitting Randolph was a great move - But I don't know why Lewandowski was returning kicks. Please report on Bolingbrook/DownersSouth and how the matchups might be!

Redhawks!

mtracy said...

I was afraid it was you!

Ed Crotty said...

I was just yelling "Hawks!". Bolingbrook and Bailey seem like they will be a good matchup. Glad it is at home.