Tuesday, November 1, 2011

I have my games...

...for this weekend: No. 8-seeded Wheaton Warrenville South (7-3) at No. 1 Lincoln-Way East (10-0) on Friday night and No. 7 Mount Carmel (7-3) at No. 2 Bolingbrook (9-1) on Saturday night.

The games I would like to see on Friday, but can't, are: Lockport (7-3) at Homewood-Flossmoor (7-3); Brother Rice (7-3) at Downers Grove South (9-1); St. Rita (8-2) at Andrew (7-3); and Crystal Lake South (9-1) at Carmel (7-3).

On Saturday I'll miss: Loyola (10-0) vs. Dunbar (7-3) at Gately; Glenbrook South (8-2) at Lyons (6-4); Maine South (10-0) at Stevenson (8-2); Lake Zurich (8-2) at Glenbard West (10-0); Lake Forest (8-2) at Batavia (10-0); Prairie Ridge (9-1) at Glenbard South (7-3); and Cary-Grove (8-2) at Nazareth (9-1).

Oh, and what the heck, let's throw in a 5A game: Montini (8-2) at Sterling (9-1). (I'd like to see the Broncos with a healthy John Rhode, above, at quarterback. How would he have done against Loyola?)

Oh, well, you can't kiss all the girls.

Before I get into my analysis for this weekend's games, I have just a few thoughts on the first round (which I missed):

* Glenbrook South shut out New Trier, 27-0. Are the Titans better than I thought? Are they on a collision course with Loyola? Looks like it.

* The Ramblers, of course, handled Evanston easily, shutting out the Wildkits, 35-0. Saturday's game against Dunbar should be another day at the beach for Loyola.

Mount Carmel surprised me with their easy defeat of Hinsdale Central, 28-14. Can the Caravan beat the Brook?

* Prairie Ridge rolled over Marmion, 49-0. No one is going to stop the Wolves. 

* Nazareth beat Deerfield, 35-6. Keep your eye on the Roadrunners; they may be a dark horse. 

* Homewood-Flossmoor upset Marist, 48-28. I hate to see the RedHawks eliminated so quickly; they are one of the most exciting teams in the state. But the Vikings are my dark horse for the 8A semifinals.

* Brother Rice made a liar out of me by beating Sandburg, 35-14. I had the Eagles losing to H-F in the quarterfinals. Ouch.

* Stevenson edged York, 31-28, for the privilege of becoming Maine South's next victim. (Where was this York team when I saw them get crushed by Glenbard West ?)

* Wheaton North shut out Jacobs, 28-0. What happened to the Golden Eagles? They were ranked when I saw them lose to Prairie Ridge.

* Addison Trail disappointed me by losing to Carmel, 28-20. The Blazers had just handed Downers Grove South their only loss of the season in Week 9. Go figure. Oh, and watch the Corsairs; they may be the best 7-3 team in the state.

* Finally, Lake Forest beat Fenton, 55-20. I have them upsetting undefeated Batavia this week. Am I crazy?

No comments: