Monday, November 21, 2011

Naperville looked very charming...

...on Saturday as I wound my way down Chicago Avenue, past North Central College (they had a game, too), through the downtown, left on Washington Street and right on Aurora Avenue to Naperville Central High School. The Moser Tower, above, is located just beyond the school on the river and is visible from the football stadium. The rain held off, the sun actually poked through the clouds for a minute or two at one point, and the game was great. It's just a shame that one team had to lose.

I could have gone to the Glenbard North-Loyola game only two miles from my house, but I went to the Bolingbrook-Naperville Central game instead. I thought it would be the better contest and, although Loyola trailed, 13-0, at the half, I was right. Even though the final score was 22-19, the game was essentially decided by a missed extra-point attempt. Both teams scored three touchdowns, both teams came from behind and both teams -- really -- deserved to win.

But only one team could advance to Champaign, and on Saturday it was Bolingbrook.

I arrived at the stadium about a half hour before the kick-off and walked briskly past the concession stand. Somebody was grilling what looked like Italian sausages and onions just outside the gate and it smelled terrific! But the line was too long and the stands were filling up quickly. I had to get my seat on the fifty-yard line.

At most of the games I've been, I end up sitting around other losers guys who have nothing better to do than attend a high school football game on the weekend and seek out other guys in which to impress with their knowledge of the game and its players. But at Naperville Central I seemed to find myself among only parents. In fact, I was probably the only one around me who wasn't wearing red and didn't seem to know everyone else.

After a few minutes the Bolingbrook team ran out onto the field in black pants, black helmets, black socks and plain white jerseys with plain black numbers. (I've seen the Raiders four times now, and I've never seen them wear the same uniform twice.) The effect was menacing, intimidating. The lady in front of me (and although young, could only be described as a "lady") even gasped a little at the sight of the opposing players. "Oh my," she said. The crowd became noticeably quieter. I could only imagine what they were thinking: "These guys look so ... so... urban." (Which is a euphemism for you-know-what.)

At the last game, against Homewood-Flossmoor, I overheard someone describe Naperville as "Disneyland" -- not real somehow. And there's something to that; it seems Utopian. After a questionable call in that game someone yelled out "WHAT THE FRICK!" And after an uneasy moment or two, everyone laughed a little and someone even remarked, "That's how we swear in Naperville!" (More laughter.)

Saturday's game began boringly enough as each team went three and out, three and out, three and out. (I don't think either team had a first down in the first quarter.) Raider quarterback Aaron Bailey wasn't very impressive, and I wondered if the Central team was asking each other, "Is that it?"

Both teams finally did score, however. (Hey D. J. Pruitt: there's a "fair catch" in football for a reason.) And the two teams went into the locker rooms tied at the half, 7-7.

The lead changed hands a few times (credit to both teams for coming back) but the key play was the missed extra point after Central scored in the third period to make it 14-13. Bolingbrook was assessed a roughing-the-kicker penalty which knocked senior Tyler Gillen out of the game (and confirmed the Central fans' suspicions that the Raiders were thugs). The ensuing two-point conversion fell short and more jawing took place between the two teams.

The refs could sense they were losing control of the game and summoned the head coaches out to mid-field for a mild talking-to. Central coach Mike Stine was particularly irritated, however, and told Bolingbrook coach John Ivlow just exactly what he thought of his squad. Ivlow responded angrily and the refs sent each coach back to his sidelines. It was a nice try, at least.

(My lip-reading isn't what it used to be, but I could swear I saw Ivlow saying, "SO'S YER OL' LADY!" to Stine. Not sure, though.)

The incident only served to fire up both teams (and both crowds) and led to a tension-filled fourth quarter.

Central quarterback Ian Lewandowski put his team up 19-14 before Bailey finally broke free for a 60-yard dash down the sidelines for the winning touchdown. The Raiders converted on a two-point attempt to make the final score, 22-19.

But the truth is -- as I mentioned earlier -- both teams played well and both deserved to win. Lewandowski and running back Matt Randolph played great (at one point the senior running back seemed to carry the entire Bolingbrook defense on his back), and once Bailey got going -- in the second half -- he showed why he is one of the most dangerous quarterbacks in the state (he even completed a few passes!). Both defenses played tough, the Raiders' without star linebacker (and Florida-bound) Antonio Morrison.

As the crowd filed out of the stadium (Outta my way; I have to get to St. Rita for the next game!) I couldn't help lingering just a little to watch the Central players as they walked off the field. Many (most) of them were crying and being consoled by their parents. I got a little choked up myself as it made me think of my own two sons. You guys have nothing to feel bad about, I wanted to tell them. They really didn't.

Now about that Rita game...

No comments: