Thursday, October 8, 2009

There's been a fair amount...

...of talk lately that Bill Ayers was the ghostwriter of President Obama's best seller, Dreams from My Father. You remember Bill Ayers. He was the former Weatherman that Sarah Palin was referring to when she said that Obama "palled around with terrorists." Ayers seems to be enjoying the attention and even encouraging the speculation. He should be.

Like a lot of people, I read Obama's book in 2008 and, unlike a lot of people (not surprisingly), I really didn't see what was so great about it. I thought it was a bit of a slog but finished it anyway because of all the hoopla surrounding his candidacy. The book has gotten rave reviews and has sold millions of copies. Good for Obama.

Ayers also wrote a book called Fugitive Days: A Memoir and I read it in the last year or so, or at least I should say I tried. This one was really boring! I had hoped to read an insiders' account of the 1960s' radical underground but found it was mostly about Ayers's experiences with women (yawn). I kept waiting for it to kick into gear but finally put it down around half-way through. Okay, Bill, we get it. You were a ladies' man.

I guess that the whole point of this is that based on Ayers's memoir, there is no way that he could have been the ghostwriter of Obama's book. Even though Dreams from My Father wasn't nearly as great as the hype, it couldn't possibly have been written by the same author as Fugitive Days.

No comments: