Saturday, October 3, 2009

St. Rita humbled Mt. Carmel, 54-18...

...and Providence crushed Fenwick, 42-7. This sets up my Game of the Week next Friday as the No. 2 Mustangs will host the No. 7 Celtics.

As much as I like Providence, and as much as I would like to make this my Upset of the Week, I just don't see anyone beating St. Rita this year, especially after last night's performance against the Caravan. The Mustangs have a 5' 7", 175 pound running back named Jahwon Akui who apparently has blinding speed. He ran for 204 yards and scored 5 touchdowns in only 3 quarters! His backup, Travis Starks, added three more. (In the first six games, Akui has accounted for 1,396 yards and 25 TDs!)

I saw Maine South demolish Wheaton-Warrenville South in the second game of the season and I expect to see them again on October 17 when they play host to Glenbrook South. (The Titans came closer than anyone else to beating the Hawks last year.) I've seen Maine South play several times over the years, and while they always find a way to win, I've always come away thinking that they were beatable. On October 23, I plan to watch Glenbrook South play Evanston in Glenview. If the game is a blow-out, as I expect it will be, I may drive over to Northfield and see if I can catch the second half of the Maine South-New Trier game. I don't expect the Trevians to give the Hawks a scare or anything, but it would be another opportunity to see the Tyler Benz-Matt Perez Show.

As for St. Rita, I haven't seen them play this year but I plan on watching them at Loyola on October 24. (I may have to brave the traffic next Friday and watch the game against Providence.) As things stand right now, I can't see Maine South or anyone else beating the Mustangs.

That's all for now. I'm off to Wolfy's and then the Brother Rice-Loyola game.

No comments: