Tuesday, March 10, 2009

One of my many pet peeves...

...is when everyone starts using the same word over and over. I first noticed this when I was in business school in the late eighties. It seemed like everyone there was "proactive" except me. I had never heard this word before and wondered if someone there had made it up. It made me realize how reactive I'd been all my life. A little later I noticed that everything that used to be considered "weird" was now "bizarre." I had only heard that word used once before, by the Joker in a Batman TV episode in the sixties. Now suddenly everyone was using it. How do these things spread? Then in the late nineties things gradually became "surreal." Where did that word come from and how did it gain such currency? And would everyone stop using it so indiscriminately now?

I hate lemmings. Be an individual; be original. Think before using the latest "fad" word. You've heard of "noise pollution?" This is kind of like "conversation pollution."

No comments: