Thursday, March 19, 2009

Nicholas Kristof's column today in the NYT...

...should be required reading for everyone. In a nutshell, he argues that people generally read pieces and watch shows not for information but rather to confirm their prejudices. I'm as guilty as anyone; I can't stand Fox News or the Wall Street Journal editorial page. Even certain reporters on CNBC drive me nuts, such as Joe Kernan and Michelle Caruso-Cabrera. But do yourself a favor; read the piece. You can find it online for free.

2 comments:

James said...

An interesting column that raises a real problem. Still, I think the sorting through the new multiplicity of news sources is a problem worth having. I like the New York Times but I think it leaves out perspectives on both the left and the right. When was the last time the Times did an in-depth investigation of poverty, let alone endorse a conservative candidate for president?
What newspapers might gain in objectivity, they lose in terms of creating the illusion that the stories printed in each day's paper are the only events that have occurred and are worth reporting on.
It also seems interesting that while Kristof mentions his biases in terms of political philosophy, he leaves out the personal stake he has as a "Times Man" in the continuance of "objective" journalism.

mtracy said...

I agree with you on the value of a multiplicity of news sources. I especially like the new trend in blogging. Where else can you get the straight dope on Illinois high school football besides Boring Old White Guy?