Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar...

...have eighteen kids and a reality show on the TLC network. That's not a misprint--eighteen. I'm not sure I even know eighteen people. They're conservative Christians (surprise!) and live in Arkansas. (And you probably thought with a name like Jim Bob that they lived in Berkeley or Cambridge.) All of their children's names begin with a "J," for some reason, and are home-schooled. The oldest, Josh, just got married and you can see the wedding and reception on TV. There was no booze or dancing, of course, and I can think of more than a few Irish families that could take a page from that playbook. (I've decided that as a rule white people shouldn't dance in public and Irish people shouldn't dance at all.) You see, the bride's father (who's also a piece of work) explains that when Jesus changed water into wine the Bible actually meant grape juice. Uh huh. And apparently dancing makes men lust after women. I must know a lot of perverts then because most of the men I know lust after women with or without dancing. Maybe we're just a little friskier where I come from. Now unlike some couples you may know, Josh and Anna waited until their wedding day to kiss for the first time. Again, not a misprint. And neither one is homely--honest. I could go on and on about this family but you really need to see the show for yourself.

Now anyone who knows me or reads this blog from time to time would probably think that I think the Duggars are nuts. Well, I do. But having said that, I also think they're incredibly nice and likable. What's more, they seem genuinely happy. And they also seem to be making this crazy life of theirs work. Whatever else you can say about them, they are doing something right. So if I was wearing a hat (here I go with the hats again), I would take it off to them. You go, Duggars!

No comments: