Thursday, January 29, 2009

I was driving in the car yesterday...

...and I turned on the radio and two Doors songs were playing at the same time on two different stations. WDRV was playing "Hello, I Love You" and WXRT was playing "Love Her Madly." The first was released in 1968 and the second in 1971, the year that Jim Morrison died and the Doors disbanded. Even though "Hello, I Love You" climbed to #1 on the charts and "Love Her Madly" was also a commercial success, neither song is one of the Doors' best. But what's fascinating to me is how popular the Doors still are almost 38 years after Morrison's death. Do you think they ever thought back in the sixties when they were doing drugs, chasing women and making records that radio stations would still be playing their music forty years later? And not even their best ones! It reminded me a little of the time I called someone at their office, was put on hold, and listened to Led Zeppelin in the background. I'll bet they never intended for that to happen! What's next, "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" as elevator music?

No comments: