Thursday, January 22, 2009

I had the best tuna casserole of my life last night...

...and I'm proud to say that I made it myself. It all started innocently enough: whole wheat pasta (it's good for you); tuna, of course; cream of mushroom soup; sour cream; and a small can of corn. But my tuna casseroles of late have been a little dry and uninspired so I looked in the fridge for a little cheese to put in. I know this isn't exactly like reinventing the wheel, but what happened next made all the difference. After adding the small amount of grated cheddar that we had left, I noticed half a package of grated mozzarella. What the hell, I figured, it's only for my son and me (my more disciplined wife was having a small breast of chicken), and besides, we'll never use it anyway. Viola! It turned out to be the magic ingredient. I then sprinkled the top liberally (in honor of the new Democratic administration) with Parmesan cheese and cooked it hotter and longer than usual. It browned nicely on top and was especially moist and delicious. I can't wait to finish the rest of it for lunch!

I guess the moral of the story is to throw caution to the wind once in a while, veer from your prepared text, and let the chips fall where they may. (And see how many cliches you can fit into one sentence.) Just as necessity is the mother of invention, so can serendipity lead you to new culinary adventures.

No comments: