Tuesday, January 27, 2009

I must be the only person in America...

...that kind of likes Rod Blagojevich. I know, I know, he's a crook--Pat Fitzgerald said so. But you've got to admit the guy has balls! I never paid that much attention to him before because I really don't follow state and local politics. All I knew was that he had a lower approval rating than George Bush. (I wonder who had the lower rating, Blago or Dick Cheney? Two columnists I read both compared Cheney in his black hat and wheelchair at the inauguration to the evil Mr. Potter in "It's a Wonderful Life.") But guilty or not, you've got to give the guy credit for going down swinging. I like his defiant speeches and the way he thumbed his nose at the establishment with the Burris appointment. Now he's on the talk show circuit with a PR campaign. They say he knows he's toast as governor but is looking ahead to his trial and is trying to shape public opinion.

My guess is that Blago isn't a whole lot different from most other politicians, just not as smooth. Why do you think people make campaign contributions? For services rendered! And unlike his predecessor, George Ryan, no one died. So even though I assume he's headed for the clink, I find myself rooting for him.

No comments: