Thursday, October 2, 2014

I'll be attending a funeral...

...today, so blogging will be on hold until tomorrow.

My Uncle Chuck died on Monday morning at age 97. We had originally thought he was the oldest surviving alumnus of Fenwick High School, above, until the Oak Park school confirmed that there are actually five graduates older than him. Wow! What kind of water was in those drinking fountains back then?

Fenwick opened its doors 85 years ago, in 1929. My Uncle Chuck was in one of the very first graduating classes, in 1935. 

My mother, who will be 95 in December and had known my dad's brother for eighty years (!) was in the Class of '37 from nearby Trinity High School in River Forest. Surely she has to be one of the oldest (but certainly not the oldest-looking!) alums from that school.

No comments: