Thursday, January 3, 2013

There's a scene in "The Master"...

...in which Freddie Quell, the character played by Joaquin Phoenix, is given a Rorschach test by an army doctor. (WARNING: graphic language.)

And it reminds me of an old joke. A patient, like Quell, sees sexual imagery in all of the ink blots he's shown. Exasperated, the doctor finally says, "You're a pervert!" To which the patient replies, "What are you talkin' about? You're the one with all the dirty pictures!"

Ba-dum.

I only bring this up because I'm still trying to make sense of the recent fiscal cliff deal. There are so many Republicans and Democrats on both sides of the issue that it's hard to know what to think. I've read and heard so many conservatives and liberals who are convinced that their side Gave Away The Store. And then there's all the implications for the upcoming negotiations on the debt ceiling, etc. I hate the expression, but I really do believe that time will tell. We may not know the results of this deal for several years. In the meantime, it seems like a Rorschach test: it's whatever you think it is.

No comments: