Saturday, January 5, 2013

Last night, we saw...

...Zero Dark Thirty (change in plans; long story) and it was a very powerful experience.

I have no idea, of course, what the actual raid on Osama bin Laden's compound was like, but the one depicted in the movie was very convincing.

It's funny how abstract the whole thing was for me up until now. I remember the night the news came out and I thought, Great! They got bin Laden! But, after watching the movie, I have some appreciation of what exactly went into it all. (And the scenes of the actual raid are riveting.)

I think the most remarkable thing, though, for me, was how uncertain the CIA actually was that bin Laden was in the compound. I had always assumed they were more confident; I had no idea how low the odds really were. The movie gives the impression that the consensus was only about 60 percent or so that bin Laden was there. Wow.

Good flick.

No comments: