Thursday, January 17, 2013

The NRA's answer to gun violence...

...is -- amazingly -- more guns. After last night's shooting at Chicago State, I think this idea is even crazier than when I first heard it.

I don't know exactly where or when the shooting took place. But as we were leaving the game, my son and nephew and I were just in front of a big scrum of people in the parking lot. There was all sorts of yelling and screaming and confusion and running around. As I mentioned, we were a little bit in front of this group, so we didn't feel too threatened. (At least I didn't.)

But, as I think back on it, if that was where the shooting took place, I can only imagine how much worse it would have been if there had been more guns on the scene. Just imagine more shooting amidst all that chaos. It's hard for me to believe that more people wouldn't have been injured or killed.

And one death is tragic enough.

NRA leader Wayne LaPierre recently said that "The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun." Well, how exactly would Mr. LaPierre have sorted out the good guys from the bad guys last night?

What in God's name is the NRA thinking? Are they thinking?

No comments: