Monday, January 21, 2013

I saw two movies this weekend...

...and was surprised by my reactions to both.

I didn't expect to like the first one, Inglourious Basterds, but I did. And, although I looked forward to seeing the second, Lincoln, I was disappointed.

I had resisted seeing Inglourious Basterds until now because of all the gore and violence in Quentin Tarantino's other movies. But someone had recorded it in our house and I started watching it on Friday night. It held my attention (my definition of a good movie) and had some interesting plot devices which I won't divulge here. I give it a "thumbs up."

Lincoln, on the other hand, was a movie I had been eagerly anticipating for some time. Everything I had heard and read about it was positively glowing, and it's been the runaway favorite for Best Picture on Intrade from the get-go.

But I found it to be ... boring.

I had heard it was a little "talky" and so should have been prepared. And maybe I wasn't in the right frame of mind. But I fell asleep more than once and, honestly, couldn't wait for it to end. (When they started going through the whole roll call for the vote on the 13th Amendment I thought, You gotta be kidding me!) 

Lincoln may have made for a good book or magazine article, but for a movie -- for me -- it fell flat.

Sorry.

No comments: