Sunday, January 13, 2013

I finally saw "BUtterfield 8"...

...this week, the 1960 movie starring Elizabeth Taylor, Laurence Harvey and Eddie Fisher (Taylor's fourth husband). Taylor, only 28 years old at the time, won the Academy Award for Best Actress. I wouldn't say it was the greatest film ever, but at least I can check it off my bucket list.

But it was Dina Merrill, a supporting actress, that especially caught my interest. Where have I seen that woman before? I thought. I looked her up in Wikipedia and it turned out she had an interesting story:

Merrill was born Nedenia Marjorie Hutton in New York City, New York, the only child of Post Cereals heiress, Marjorie Merriweather Post, and her second husband, Wall Street stockbroker, Edward Francis Hutton.

You know, E. F. Hutton?



Merrill dropped out of George Washington University after only one year:

When Merrill informed her father that she wanted to become an actress on the New York stage, he was outraged. He did not want the "good name" of Hutton paraded on the Great White Way. She asked her father whom he disliked more than anyone else in the world, and he replied Charlie Merrill, founder of Wall Street competitor Merrill Lynch. Out of spite, Nedenia Hutton became Dina Merrill.

No comments: