Friday, January 11, 2013

Maine South upset New Trier...

...last night in overtime, 47-45. (You can read all about it in the Trib and the Sun-Times.)

This is the second time I've seen New Trier play in the last two years and the second time I've seen them lose in overtime. (The first was last year against Evanston.)

The Player of the Game for me had to be Steven Cook, above, who scored 22 points, had 9 rebounds and three steals in a losing effort for the visiting Trevians. While a case could be made for Maine South's John Solari (18 points), I just thought the Princeton-bound Cook out-hustled everyone on the court. (I remember him from last year's game.) What a fun player to watch!

The big mystery for me was why New Trier coach Scott Fricke had Cook inbound the ball at the end of the game. Why didn't he have his hottest shooter take the last shot? (I guess there's a lot I don't understand about basketball.)

As for tonight, I may head out to Conant High School in Hoffman Estates to see the Cougars host the Dons of Notre Dame. While the visitors from Niles are ranked No. 32 in the state by MaxPreps, I think I smell an upset. (I smell something.)

No comments: