Friday, September 25, 2009

Michael Moore is out with a new movie...

...called "Capitalism: A Love Story," and I really don't expect to run out and see it anytime soon. I saw "Roger & Me" and "Fahrenheit 9/11" and they both played fast and loose with the truth. Moore reminds me a little of Oliver Stone in that he makes movies that are entertaining but not particularly edifying. As an opponent of the Iraq War, I found "Fahrenheit 9/11" counterproductive because its distortions were not helpful to the anti-war cause. We had the facts on our side; we didn't need lies or misinformation to make our case. The movie only hurt our credibility. To paraphrase Jed Clampett, "Quit helpin' us, boy."

Moore appeared this week on "Larry King Live" and "Countdown with Keith Olbermann" to plug his new movie and I can only conclude that he is just plain misinformed. (Does he really think that the banks set out to take people's homes?) He seems well-intentioned, but I would urge anyone to take anything he says with a large grain of salt.

2 comments:

James said...

I really liked Bowling for Columbine. I've never fact checked Moore's work, but with so many people questioning him, I guess there must be something to the idea that he exaggerates. Still, Columbine dealt with the United States' culture of violence in a thematic way that I thought was compelling. People might quibble with his details, but I'm glad he addresses important issues that often do not get a lot of play in mainstream media. If people discover that certain of his facts are wrong, at least he stirred their curiosity to learn more about important topics.

mtracy said...

I've heard good things about "Bowling for Columbine."

Also, I may have to watch "Sicko" since Wendell Potter recently said that Moore "got it right."