Thursday, August 29, 2013

Ryan Wilkens told me this week...

...that Justin Jackson is "the best player I have ever coached; we ask a lot from him and he delivers." 

But when asked who else, besides Mount Carmel, would vie for the 8A crown this year, the laconic head coach of Glenbard North would only speak about teams GBN has played:

"The Napervilles, Fremd, Stevenson, Maine South and Loyola are all going to be very good."

I plan on seeing the Northwestern-bound Jackson tomorrow night as the Panthers travel to Batavia to avenge last year's 42-41 opening loss. According to Dave Andrews, the Athletic Director at Batavia, the game is expected to sell out shortly after the gates open at 4:30.

On Saturday I'm off to a triple-header at Soldier Field to see several of the area's other top Division I prospects. 

The 10:00 am opener will feature running back Matt Domer of Mount Carmel (Illinois) against St. Patrick, who is beginning its 100th season of football. Wow! 

At 1:00 quarterback Shelby Spence and running back Mikale Wilbon (Vanderbilt) will lead De La Salle against Phillips

And after a quick dinner at Manny's Deli where I'll meet my sons while the Division III game is going on, I'll come back and watch quarterback Tommy Mister of St. Rita (Iowa State) match up against Marist and its star tight end Nic Weishar (Notre Dame) in what should be the day's best contest.

Oh, and next Saturday I plan on seeing running back Chris James of Notre Dame play at Bartlett.

Not a bad start to the season, huh?

So what games will I miss? Lake Zurich at Fremd, Waubonsie Valley at Naperville Central, Cary-Grove at Wheaton North, Maine South at Montini, Bolingbrook at Hinsdale Central and Glenbard West at Wheaton Warrenville South. Can't be in two places at once! 

Remember, I'll be live tweeting the games @BoringOldWhtGuy.

Tomorrow: Let's talk about the rankings. 

No comments: