Tuesday, August 6, 2013

I went to bed last night...

...after reading the news that Jeff Bezos, the founder of Amazon, bought the Washington Post for the not-so-princely sum of $250 million. (To give you some perspective, the New York Times Company bought the New England Media Group, which includes the Boston Globe, for $1.1 billion in 1993.)

This morning, I woke up to find out that the Chicago Tribune, which I read only for high school sports, has gone to a digital subscription model.

Boy, the media world is really changing fast. (In other breaking news, it appears that the world is indeed round.)

So what does this mean for me? What does it mean for "Boring Old White Guy"? I'm not sure yet. But I do know that I can't afford an unlimited number of newspaper and magazine subscriptions. (I'm already paying for the New York Times and Andrew Sullivan's Dish.) And what about this blog? Will Google start charging me to publish it? If so, how much? Would I be willing to pay it? I don't know. These are all questions that remain to be answered.

But in the meantime, I'll keep soldiering on. Strong opinions are deeply embedded in my family's DNA (even if good judgement and discretion are not) and writing is something I've always wanted to do. It could mean more original content; I already have some ideas on that score (one of which I leaked to my brother last night). But, like everyone else in the media world (and I like to think of myself as in that world) I'll just have to roll with the punches and evolve, like my species has been doing for millions of years now. (We're nothing if not survivors.)

Stay tuned.

No comments: