Monday, September 10, 2012

The Cary-Grove - Crystal Lake South...

...game Friday night was a lackluster affair, both due to the inclement weather and the contest itself. The visiting Trojans jumped out to a 14-0 lead at halftime, which they never relinquished. The two Fox Valley squads then traded field goals in the second half to make the final score, 17-3, Cary-Grove.

Ho-hum.

But the evening wasn't a total loss; I found a good sandwich shop nearby and met up at the game with an old friend from the Merc.
___

After two hours in the car on Friday afternoon, I was more than ready for a bite to eat. While I usually just get to the stadium early and have a hot dog (or two) on Game Days, the rainy weather had me on the lookout for a place to eat indoors. As I made my way up North Randall Road I saw a sign: Galloway's Chicago Subs. Perfect!

I was the only customer in the store (it was early) and the proprietor made me feel more than welcome. "I'll have a Meatball sub, please," I said to him.

"Good choice," he replied. His approval brought a smile to my face. The locals like me already!

"You goin' to the game?" the other guy behind the counter, a teenager, asked me.

"Yep."

He gave me a funny look.

"Oh, don't worry," I reassured him. "I have my rain gear in the car." And I did -- a brand-new rain suit, a golf umbrella and waterproof boots.

The proprietor and the kid commenced giving me a detailed scouting report on the game. Even though they were both related to the Crystal Lake South quarterback, they were not particularly optimistic. Turns out the Gators, who defeated Cary-Grove on the road last year, had graduated a number of seniors. "They're a young team." Uh-oh. I smell a blowout.

I must have been their first customer in a while (or they thought I was Edgy Tim or something), because they were both unusually friendly. "This your first time in here?" the manager asked. "Have a free cookie!"

And when I went to leave after I finished, he came out from behind the counter, introduced himself and shook my hand. I only wanted a sandwich, I thought.

But -- I have to admit -- they were both very nice and even had me quietly rooting for the Gators by the time I left.
___

When I arrived at the stadium I was pleased -- for once -- not to be asked if I was a senior citizen. (At least people in Crystal Lake have nothing wrong with their eyesight.) I climbed  to the top of the bleachers at about the 40-yard line and couldn't help feeling as though everyone was watching me -- and admiring my new rain suit. After I sat down, the woman next to me looked over and said, "Boy, you're really prepared!" Darn right, lady.

And a good thing too, because it was just about then that the heavens opened up. Ha! Nice and dry over here! 

I got there just in time for the second half of the sophomore game, and it turned out to be a real barn burner. Cary-Grove scored the winning touchdown with no time left on the clock!
___

The rain finally let up just before the kickoff of the varsity game and that's also about the time my buddy Scherps showed up. I was surprised to see him dressed in only shorts and sandals! What would that guy in the sub shop say about that?

I hadn't seen my friend in several years, and we had a lot to catch up on: war stories about careers, kids and marriages; gossip about old acquaintances from the Merc; and even -- as was fitting for a couple of old guys -- tales of our various illnesses, ailments and the medications we were taking. We even compared notes on our respective colonoscopies! (Jim's father died young of colon cancer, so he's had a few.) I, on the other hand, have only had one, and I think that's enough. Scherps raised his eyebrows a little when I told him this.

"I figure the doctor has one chance to find something -- that's it!"

I'm still not sure if he was rolling his eyes at me or the uninspired play on the field. (Had to be the latter.)

But we covered a lot of ground, Jim and I, and resolved to do it again real soon. "Hey," he said as we were leaving, "Next time let's talk about politics."

You're on.

No comments: