Saturday, August 1, 2009

Phil from Wicker Park writes in...

...Mike, I've been enjoying the boringoldwhiteguy blog. It's like I'm still hearing your slightly off the wall remarks in the chair next to me. Hope you've been well and have been enjoying the summer.

This summer, I decided to train for the Chicago Triathlon, and raise money for American Cancer Society. Maybe it's because my son's going away to college, and I needed to trick my self into thinking I'm not THAT old...maybe it's because my Dad survived lung cancer for a second time this spring. I found that I enjoyed training so much, that I just decided to continue to train and run the Chicago Marathon in October (farthest distance to date was 11 miles on Weds, and a 1/2 Marathon coming up on Sun).

I've started to document my training, especially learning to avoid drowning in a mile of Lake Michigan at www.CharityTriathlete.blogspot.com.

I'd appreciate your support!

Best, Phil

This August, I will be racing in The Chicago Triathlon as a Charity Athlete for the American Cancer Society. Then, this October, I will race the Chicago Marathon for the American Cancer Society Charity Runner team. Racing any distance is certainly a test of strength and endurance, but to those who endure treatments and live with cancer each day, the words strength and endurance have an even deeper meaning.

As you may know the Charity Athlete program gives me the opportunity to race in honor of my father, Al Rosenberg a two-time lung cancer survivor, while at the same time I am raising donations to support The American Cancer Society - the very institution that has made some major headway in finding a cure. Did you know that the ACS has funded 40 Nobel Prize winning laureates who have made breakthroughs in finding a cure? The American Cancer Society fights this disease through research, education, advocacy, and service.

One in three people will endure cancer at some point in their lives, and as a Charity Athlete, I am making a difference in the lives of so many who have been touched by this horrific disease. Over the course of the past few months, I have spent many hours training in preparation for race day. In addition, I have agreed to raise $1,500 and it is with your help and support that this can become a reality.

Please help me to honor and bring hope to those who are patiently awaiting a cure! Join me in the fight against cancer, together we will win this fight!

Online Donations: If you would prefer to make a donation online at my personal Web page, please go to my fundraising page at http://main.acsevents.org/goto/philrosenberg. Click the "Donate" button on the left hand side of the page to make a donation on the secure site.

Mail-in donations: Please make all checks payable to The American Cancer Society and be sure to include my name in the memo line of the check, so ACS will know to count your donation toward my personal progress. Please send the donations to me so that I can enter them onto my fundraising page before I mail to the ACS office.

Mail-in donation address:

Phil Rosenberg

1740 N Maplewood Ave, Unit #406

Chicago, IL 60647

Any support you can give to me or to the American Cancer Society is greatly appreciated. Remember, all donations are tax deductible, and many organizations offer donation matiu

Thanks so much for your generosity,

Phil Rosenberg

Click here to visit my personal page.
If the text above does not appear as a clickable link, you can visit the web address:
http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/DetermiNation/CRFY09Illinois?px=10506615&pg=personal&fr_id=18799&fl=en_US&et=REhzjunTu3ZtaqYxBpmv0w..&s_tafId=480151

This message has been sent by a friend who thought you would be interested in information about the American Cancer Society's special events. If you no longer wish to receive emails messages sent from your friends, family members or colleagues on the subject of the American Cancer Society's special events, please click here or paste this URL into your browser: http://main.acsevents.org/site/TellFriendOpt?action=optout&toe=cf0184c39df1c427a6461c75071bd9079ecb6ff6074bacdc

No comments: