Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Meryl Streep is starring as Julia Child...

...in a new movie called "Julie & Julia." I never really watched Julia Child, but anything remotely connected to food gets my attention. And Child was an interesting woman. Among other things, she was 6'2" and was in the OSS, the forerunner to the CIA. (OSS, by the way, was said to stand for "Oh, So Social," as it drew heavily from the ranks of the nation's elite. Why else would they choose a woman that tall to operate inconspicuously as a spy in the 1940s? "Hey, there's that tall broad again. I wonder if she's following us." No wonder Alger Hiss operated undetected for so many years.)

But what's more interesting to me is that the movie seems to be considered a critical success because of Streep's participation alone. She's won all sorts of awards and everyone seeems to agree that she's one of the best actresses on the scene today. Now acting is something that I don't even pretend to know anything about, but I feel like whenever I see Streep in a role I'm conscious that she's acting. Instead of getting lost in whatever character she's playing, I find myself thinking, "Hey, she's acting." And I find that really distracting. Am I alone in this?

No comments: