Tuesday, August 4, 2009

My favorite time of the week...

...is Sunday morning, and my favorite thing to do on Sunday morning is read the New York Times, and my favorite thing to read in the NYT is Frank Rich. (I usually warm up with Maureen Dowd while the coffee is brewing.) Hearing this, I'm sure my older boy would say, "Yeah, white people love to drink coffee while reading Frank Rich in the Sunday New York Times--before they head off to some art fair."

But what's rapidly gaining on Frank Rich (as readers of this blog are painfully aware) are the ads on pages 2 and 3 of the main section. (Indulge me a little; it's my birthday.) This past Sunday's paper had an ad on page 3 for a "vest bag" by Alexander Wang (am I supposed to know who that is?). It looks like it's made of leather and kind of fits over your torso like a reverse back-pack. It has six small pockets with zippers to carry whatever people carry in a "vest bag." (It almost looks as if it was inspired by one of those suicide bombers on the West Bank.) I can't wait to see someone actually wearing one of these. Oh, and it costs only $850.

Now on the previous page is a more conventional bag for carrying your stuff made by Chanel for those of you a little less "edgy." (By the way, using '90s terms like "edgy" only betrays how far one actually is from the cutting edge. Kind of like those people that still say "Think outside the box.") It's described as a "Stretch Spirit" calfskin drawstring tote. It has two huge interlocking "Cs" that announce to the world that you are carrying your Altoids (I know, another anachronism from the '90s; I don't get out much) in a purse made by Chanel. I guess that's considered to be in much better taste than actually telling everyone how much you paid for it ($2,950).

2 comments:

Joe Tracy said...

http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/01/18/1-coffee/

http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/01/31/45-the-sunday-new-york-times/

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.