Saturday, August 15, 2009

At the risk of turning this blog...

...into nothing more than a linking service, I have to recommend this article by Eric Zorn from the Chicago Tribune:

http://blogs.chicagotribune.com/news_columnists_ezorn/2009/08/getting-aboard-a-health-plan-its-time-to-throw-a-lifeline-to-60-million-americans.html

I think he makes a great Everyman's moral argument for health care reform. I could have written it myself (although not as well), except for the part about health care as a "right." Rights to me include the rights to free speech, religion, etc. that were clearly spelled out by the Founding Fathers. I don't think health care is a "right" any more than access to public education, electricity, or clean water are "rights." But I do think it would be scandalous to live in an America where 47 million people didn't have those things. It wouldn't be America to me; it would be like some developing country with haves and have-nots. I wouldn't want to live in an America like that.

It reminds me of a recent article in The Economist about Texas:

http://www.economist.com/specialreports/displaystory.cfm?story_id=13938917

Texas has the highest proportion of people lacking health insurance of all 50 states; the third-highest poverty rate; the second-highest imprisonment rate; the highest teenage-birth rate; the lowest voter turnout; and the lowest proportion of high-school graduates...Texas spends less on each of its citizens than does any other state. Being a low-tax, low-spend state has not made Texans rich, though they are not dirt-poor either; their median income ranks 37th among the 50 states.

Speaking as someone who has been very fortunate all of my life (it began with being born in the United States in the latter half of the twentieth century as opposed to, say, Darfur), if I were a resident of Texas, I would rather sacrifice some of that good fortune to see that some of that inequality was reduced.

2 comments:

Tom T said...

Who said anything about FREE health insurance for 60mm Americans? Everybody needs to pay. I have no sympathy for all of these people that are employed and flock to free health care fairs. They should ask them how much a month they pay for cable TV and wireless phone service and suggest that they pay that for seeing a Doctor. There is a large segment of the uninsured that need to be held accountable. We want to provide catastrophic coverage not pick up the dab for everybody.

mtracy said...

You're right; I took the word "free" out of there. I was just trying to compare it with "free" access to public education, access to clean water, electricity, etc.

One thing I didn't mention is "free" food, in the way of food stamps. I'm sure there are people who are gaming the system, but I think it's worth it to make sure that no one starves in this country.