Monday, February 6, 2017

I've been watching...

...The Mary Tyler Moore Show lately and saw Season One, Episode Twenty, "Hi!," the other night. Originally aired on February 6, 1971, Wikipedia sums it up, "In the hospital for a tonsillectomy, Mary must share a room with a very grumpy patient played by Pat Carroll."

At one point in the episode Rhoda asks Mary why she doesn't get a private room. She responds by saying, "No, my insurance only covers semi-private." I was shocked. Although I was only 12 years old at the time, I don't recall anyone talking about health insurance back then, much less complaining about it. I half-expected the next words out of Mary's mouth to be, "Thanks a lot, Obama!"

If I was 12 then President Obama (who shares the same birthday with me) would have been only nine (and living in Kenya). Doesn't matter; it's his fault.

Maybe all of our health care problems didn't start with Obamacare.

No comments: