Wednesday, February 1, 2017

In case you're wondering...

...why I haven't had much to say about Trump's first few days on the job, it's because it's been a little like drinking from a fire hose.

I told my brother yesterday that it reminds me of the financial crisis back in 2008: events were happening so fast that I could barely process them before the next shoe dropped. But I think this pace, like the financial crisis, will eventually slow down enough to allow me to comment on what's happening.

So far, by the way, it's been mostly talk (and executive orders, which carry about the same weight). The key is legislation: can the Republican congress do anything besides cut taxes and regulations? (My guess is still "no.")

I told my son this weekend that after a year or so Trump will actually have a record we can talk about. Until then, let's just see how things play out.

P. S. For the love of God, Democrats, please filibuster Neil Gorsuch! Let Mitch McConnell abolish the filibuster once and for all -- it's a stupid rule anyway. If Chuck Schumer doesn't show some spine after the way Republicans treated Merrick Garland then he deserves to have his party get crushed in the midterms. For once -- just once -- bring a knife to a knife fight!

No comments: