Sunday, February 12, 2017

I found myself on Belmont...

...this morning and couldn't resist taking a few pictures of Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church. I never get tired of looking at this beautiful structure, which is between Halsted and Broadway.

Hard to believe, but my son Joe was born 27 years ago last week and was baptized at Mount Carmel shortly after. (He's getting married in less than two months. Life comes at you fast.)

According to its website, Our Lady of Mount Carmel was founded in 1886. Originally at Wellington near Sheffield, the present Indiana limestone building was completed in 1913 in "English Tudor Gothic style." (Isn't that two distinct styles, Tudor and Gothic?* Looks Gothic to me.)

The parish school, now known as Mount Carmel Academy, was founded in 1888. The current school was built in 1926. I believe that's George Washington, second from left, and Father Jacques Marquette, second from right. (I don't know who the other two gentlemen are; I'll have to take a closer look next time.)

But ya gotta love the detail, right? Here's a closeup of the two figures on the right.

They sure don't build buildings like that anymore, do they? (It's times like this I wish I had a real camera instead of just an iPhone. Oh, well.)

* Apparently there is such a thing as "Tudor Gothic."

No comments: