Wednesday, April 8, 2015

By the way, is SHOUTING...

...your announcement speech supposed to be presidential, or something?

I have a theory. (Surprised?) Ever since Reagan, the Republican Party has been searching in vain for a successor. But St. Ronald was big and tall and handsome and had a full head of thick, dark hair and a deep, booming voice. He was an actor, remember? And he was a Man's Man. (Or, as I once heard someone joke, a "Carmel guy.") But no Republican since then has fit that image. (It's kind of like how every Democrat until Obama tried to be Jack Kennedy.) And so I guess for a mild-mannered, small guy with funny hair, like Rand Paul, the answer is to YELL out his speeches. Didn't work for me. Just be yourself.

I was actually impressed, though, by the stagecraft of both Sen. Paul's and Sen. Cruz's announcement speeches. These two may have more legs than I had previously thought. But it also got me to thinking: along with Jeb Bush, Marco Rubio and Scott Walker, is the GOP going to have five candidates that garner about 20 percent each? This could be interesting.

No comments: