Friday, March 13, 2015

Michael Graves, a postmodern...

...architect "who designed more than 350 buildings around the world," died at age 80.

350 buildings, I thought to myself, That's a lot! I can't wait to find out what he did in Chicago.

Nothing. Nada. Bagels. How can that be?

I checked this list and the only building that I should recognize (but don't) is the expansion to the Minneapolis Institute of Arts, above.

But the best part of Mr. Graves's obit in the Times was (my emphasis):

But by 1985 the backlash against postmodernism had begun, and the rejection of Mr. Graves’s plan for expanding the Whitney Museum of Art’s famed Breuer building was a setback. “No Mo Po Mo!” became the rallying cry of foes of postmodernism. His design would have radically altered the facade of the building, prompting objections from community groups and the city’s Landmarks Preservation Commission.

No comments: