Friday, March 6, 2015

I'm torn.

The Regional Finals of the Berwyn-Cicero (Morton) Sectional are tonight and I don't know which game to attend.

No. 2-seed Whitney Young hosts No. 9 Morton just a few blocks north of my house while No. 3 Kenwood travels to No. 6 St. Ignatius just a few blocks south of me. Both games start at 7:00. The question is, which one will be the better contest?

Whitney Young, at 18-9 on the season, beat No. 15 Lincoln Park, 64-44, on Tuesday night to get here. Morton, 15-11, upset No. 7 De La Salle, 64-58, on the same court immediately afterward. The Dolphins (the Dolphins?) are ranked No. 36 in the state by MaxPreps while the Mustangs come in at only No. 80 (which is probably too low).

At the same time that tilt is going on in the West Loop, St. Ignatius, 21-8, will be hosting Kenwood, 19-6, on Roosevelt Road. The Wolfpack defeated No. 11 Proviso East on Wednesday night, 56-47, in a game that was much closer than the score would indicate. Just prior to that, the Broncos dispatched No. 14 Lane Tech on the gridiron, 38-30. If MaxPreps is any guide, these two squads should be pretty evenly matched: the high school sports website ranks Ignatius No. 45 and Kenwood right behind them at No. 46.

Now, I could conceivably go to one game and abort the mission at halftime if it's a blowout. But that's probably not a good strategy. I'd hate to miss a big second-half comeback, and besides, it would be too difficult logistically to change horses in the middle of the stream. Would I really be able to get a good seat at the other game, especially if it was better than the first? Not likely. No, I'll have to choose one or the other. Which will it be? Check back tomorrow for the answer and my recap of the game.

P. S. As always, I'll be live-tweeting the contest @BoringOldWhtGuy.

No comments: